- Everton hope to start from scratch in the Europa League after the infamous Atalanta annihilation.
- Everton have won their last 2 games in all competitions, which could (hopefully) make the players more confident about playing against the Cypriot minnows.
- This season’s top scorer Oumar Niasse is ineligible because he wasn’t registered in the Europa League squad.
- Progressed to the group stage after knocking out Zaria Balti, Aberdeen and Midtjylland.
- Finished 3rd in the Cypriot First Division last season with 73 points.
- Won the Cypriot Cup last season, beating APOEL Nicosia 1-0 in the final.
- Played against English opposition in Europe once before – against Liverpool in 1992/93 European Cup Winners’ Cup, losing 8-2 on aggregate.
- Reached the group stages of the Europa League twice before but only won 2 games.
- Currently 8th in the Cypriot First Division with 1 win and 2 draws, but have 2 games in hand.
- Drew 1-1 in their opening group stage match against the favourites to top the group, Lyon.
- For more info about the game, click here.
Opposition’s Most Recent Match – AEL Limassol 1-1 Apollon Limassol
- The Limassol derby ended in a draw.
- Apollon broke a deadlock through Anton Maglica, whom Apollon signed from Everton’s play-off opponents Hajduk Split in 2016.
- AEL Limassol equalised only three minutes into the second half.
- The match was fairly even game with AEL having (marginally) the higher number of shots (11-10) but they both had the same number of shots on target (4).
- Apollon Limassol had more of the ball (56%-44%) but couldn’t take advantage.
- Everton have never played against Cypriot opposition.
- Everton have won 10 of their last 13 home games in Europe (3 defeats).
- Two of those defeats were against Krasnodar and BATE Borisov when Everton fielded a weakened team having already qualified from the group stage.
- The other defeat was a 2-0 loss to Benfica in November 2009.
- Everton haven’t lost successive European games since Benfica did the double over them in October-November 2009.
- Everton haven’t lost successive European games against different opposition since they lost to Feyenoord in the European Cup Winners’ Cup in November 1995 and then Villarreal nearly 9 years later.