- Everton will be playing in the stadium that will host the 2018 Europa League final.
- However, unless they win all their remaining group games and improve their goal difference, this could be their only trip there.
- Everton have lost their last 4 games in all competition, which started with a 2-1 defeat to Lyon.
- This is David Unsworth’s potentially penultimate audition to become the permanent Everton manager.
- Since their victory over Everton, Lyon beat Troyes 5-0 and Metz 2-0.
- Memphis Depay scored a hat-trick against Troyes.
- Nabil Fekir scored both goals against the struggling Metz. (Yes, they’re struggling even more than Everton.)
- Those wins have pushed Lyon up to 3rd with 22 points (nearly treble Everton’s tally), behind only to PSG and Monaco.
Opposition’s Most Recent Match – Lyon 2-0 Metz
- Even though before this game, there was a 16-point difference between the two sides and Metz lost 9 of their 10 league games this season, the game was closer than expected.
- Lyon scored both their goals within the first 20 minutes.
- Since then, Metz had more possession (54%).
- Lyon had more shots (10-6) but their finishing was not clinical enough with only 2 being on target. Metz, however, had 3 on target.
- Since the second goal, Lyon and Metz had the same amount of touches in the opposition’s area (10).
- Lyon’s lightning spark in the opening 20 minutes gently sizzled out against a team they perhaps should have beaten by a wider margin.
One To Watch
|Nabil Fekir – 2017/18 Ligue 1|
|Shots On Target||14|
- Everton hope to become the 4th team to progress from the group stages after earning just 1 point in their first 3 games (after Hertha Berlin, Dnipro and AZ Alkmaar).
- Everton haven’t lost successive games in Europe since they lost to Benfica twice in October and November 2009.