|0||Shots On Target||6|
|45%||Aerial Duels Won %||55%|
- Everton have started 2018 the same way they ended 2017 – with a defeat.
- The return of back-to-back defeats was not what the club nor the fans wanted ahead of the Merseyside Derby in the FA Cup on Friday.
- The first half wasn’t the most exciting half we have ever seen, however Everton did play well in an even half:
- Shots: Everton 7-10 Manchester United
- Shots on target: Everton 0-1 Manchester United
- Successful dribbles: Everton 10-3 Manchester United
- Touches in opposition area: Everton 17-4 Manchester United
- Everton also had a great chance with Oumar Niasse coming so close to breaking the deadlock, but Marcos Rojo stopped an almost certain goal.
- The second half, however, it was mostly Manchester United:
- Goals: Everton 0-2 Manchester United
- Shots: Everton 5-11 Manchester United
- Shots on target: Everton 0-5 Manchester United
- Successful dribbles: Everton 3-6 Manchester United
- Touches in opposition: Everton 19-14 Manchester United
- Unstoppable goals from Anthony Martial and Jesse Lingard hurt those in blue.
- James McCarthy was brought on somewhat questionably when Everton were a goal down but made a tackle that started a temporary resurgence.
- From the 71st to the 80th minute, Everton had more chances, more possession and most of the action occurred in their attacking third.
- But it was all fruitless as, for the second consecutive home game, no-one could hit a shot on target.
- As you can see, Everton had twice as many touches in Manchester United’s area as Manchester United had in Everton’s.
- The lack of quality and clinical finishing up front cost Everton dearly once again.
- Michael Keane won 5 aerial duels – no other player won more (Marcos Rojo also 5).
- Michael Keane also made 9 clearances and 4 interceptions – more than any other player.
- Michael Keane also won the joint-most amount of tackles in the game (3 with Ander Herrera).
- Oumar Niasse and Yannick Bolasie each made 4 successful dribbles – more than any other player.
Average Player Positions
- Everton have lost 8 of their last 12 games on New Year’s Day.
- Everton have failed to score in back-to-back home games for the first time since May 2015.
- Everton have had just 4 shots on target in their last 4 games (0, 3, 1, 0).