|4||Shots On Target||1|
|49%||Aerial Duels Won %||51%|
- In the 230th Merseyside Derby, luck was on Liverpool’s side for the 200th time.
- Liverpool broke the deadlock through a controversial penalty from James Milner.
- Mason Holgate appeared to have held back Adam Lallana back which prompted the Everton supporter to fall in the box.
- Before half-time, Holgate was involved in another controversy.
- Holgate pushed Roberto Firmino into the stands and he retaliated by, according to Holgate himself, calling him the n-word.
- The incident will be investigated.
- Everton were more attack-minded in the second half and they soon got their equaliser.
- Substitute Ademola Lookman dribbled through the Liverpool defence and found Phil Jagielka, who then passed it to Gylfi Sigurdsson and shot first time and hit it in the back of the net.
- The hope soon faded as in typical fashion, £75 million debutant Virgil van Dijk scored the winner.
- Ademola Lookman made 5 successful dribbles – no other player made more (Joe Gomez also 5).
- Phil Jagielka made 12 clearances – more than any other player.
Average Player Positions
- Everton have been knocked out in the third round of the FA Cup in successive seasons for the first time since 2006/07 and 2007/08.
- Everton have been knocked out on the last 6 occasions they were drawn against a top-flight team in the third round of the FA Cup.